Job #1 – Roads and Grounds

Roads and Grounds

The year: 1993

The music: “American Pie”, Don McLean (Because my freshman roommate and I were vague and mysterious like that.)

Every day, the late afternoon sun would shine through the four small panes in the front door of my childhood home.  It projected four distinct beams of light down into the living room.  As a little kid, I used to sit on the stairs just opposite, and watch the dust particles flit and twirl.  I thought I was the only one privy to this little ballet.  Secret powers or some such. 

I was home on spring break from the University of Tennessee, and it was about that time of day when I sauntered into the living room as only kids with one year of college under their belt can do.  I remember exactly the spot I was standing when my dad stood up with the company paper in his hand.  The “company” was Eastman Chemical Company.  It came to the house every week, or maybe every other week.  In this particular issue, was a call for summer employees.  It was a special program for kids of employees who were in college.  Dad simply said, “Here is an opportunity for you this summer.”  And that was that. 

In all of my 18 years, I had never argued with my father.  I wouldn’t have dared.   There was an unhealthy amount of fear associated with dad that would soften as the years passed.  On this day, the unspoken words were clear, and I soon found myself applying for my first real job.

In high school, I had worked as a file clerk at an optometrist’s office, and at the local card shop where I consumed copious amounts of banana Laffy Taffy from the front counter and learned to really screw up a cash register.  As it turns out, cash handling is not my forte.  Those nickels and dimes were frittered away on frozen yogurt from TCBY, movies and toilet paper that my friends and I “rolled” houses with on the weekends.  They were works of art, all of that toilet paper blowing from the tall trees in the midnight air.

The Holston Defense Army Ammunition Plant was constructed by Tennessee Eastman to manufacture explosives for the Department of Defense during World War II.  My dad was a statistician for “the plant”. He worked there from before I was born until he retired.  I called it Holston “the Fence” until I was in the 3rd grade, and generally had very little interest in what happened there.  Because of his employment with Holston Defense, I would work there during the summer of my 18th year.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined what I would be doing.

After the paperwork was filled out and my application was accepted, I was informed that I would have to agree to a drug test.  Drugs weren’t a problem for me, but shy bladder syndrome was.  If I suspected for one second that anyone could have heard me pee, I clenched up like a tight fist.  Of all of the fears in the world, I’ve carried the fear of someone overhearing me pee into adulthood.  It’s pathetic really.

Because the plant manufactured explosives, you had to pass through a security gate, verbally confirm that you had “no fire” (lighters or matches) and show that you had taken the cigarette lighter out of your car.  I wound my way around the plant to the infirmary, or what dad would call “Medic”.  I passed through the screened in porch, thinking I might be in an episode of M.A.S.H. and signed in.  The one and only nurse recognizing my last name exclaimed, “Phillips! You’re Haynes’ daughter.  The last of the brood.  Your dad talks about you all the time.”  That came as a complete shock to me, but I remember feeling at least two inches taller that day.  My dad had mentioned ME to his colleagues!

I had consumed approximately one gallon of water and a Gatorade so that I could perform this drug test for summer employment.  The nurse handed me a cup and pointed me in the direction of the bathroom.  I thought she was being not just a little pushy when she followed me into a room with one stall.  “Is she going to stand there while I do this?”  “Oh my God, she is going to listen to me pee?”  “Oh man, this is never going to happen.”  So, we both waited.  And waited.  I knew with the flip of the lock on the stall that if she was going to stand there and listen to me pee in a cup, there was a 100% chance that I would fail this test.

I left the stall with an empty cup and the nurse looked at me with empathy.  She knew.  She knew all about shy bladders.  She encouraged me to come back the next day.  I was only a tiny bit humiliated to tell my dad that I would have to return.  The next day, I would redouble my efforts, drink twice as much water and successfully offer a specimen.  Success!

In the final days of the spring semester of my freshman year, I would receive word that I had passed the drug test and would be gainfully employed for the summer.   My crew?  Roads and Grounds.  Seriously.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s